Thursday, September 9, 2010

Naptime

It is really ironic that when you are little and blessed with the opportunity for ample sleep, you don't want it and when you are grown, all you want is to be able to sleep.  This has been quite evident in our house the past two weeks as Ethan comes home exhausted from kindergarten and, like clockwork, protests within 1-4 seconds with, "BUT I'M NOT SLEEPY!!!" every time I mention that he is tired.

 
Yet, he keeps falling asleep in strange places.  He once went to get a blanket to cuddle up with on the couch and never made it back to the couch from the pile of folded blankets in the corner.  Brian has also re-read multiple chapters of Tolkien's "The Hobbit" since story time is a sure-fire way to end up with a sleeping child.

My friends and I used to joke that sleep was over-rated... until we had kids.  Those first few weeks of insane sleep deprivation made me understand why depriving someone of sleep is sometimes used as torture.  But, you would think I am torturing my kids by forcing the issue of naptime. 

I suppose submitting to one's need for sleep is a mark of maturity although my boys don't really believe me that one day, they too will want to take a nap.  And on those loud, crazy days especially when they scream when I even mention anything having to do with resting, I find myself constantly thanking God for naptime since it means that mommy gets quiet too.

Don't get me wrong; I love my kids and really enjoy spending time with them.  I just need to recharge.  I can't be a good mom unless I'm taking care of myself and too much chaos just drains me.  And when I'm drained, I don't have anything to give.  The first thing usually to go is my patience, unfortunately- something my boys really need from me.

So, I'll take naptime, however it comes.  We all do better when we are well rested.  And these quiet moments are far better than when you know they are awake and it suddenly gets very quiet.  Those kind of quiet moments I think I'll be on guard for!

No comments:

Post a Comment