Friday, September 17, 2010

Boston in the Fall

"We are the pirates who don't do anything
We just stay at home and lie around
And if you ask us to do anything
We'll just tell you we don't do anything

And I've never hoist the main sail
And I've never swabbed the poop deck

And I never veer to starboard
'Cause I never sail at all


And I've never walked the gangplank
And I've never owned a parrot
And I've never been to Boston in the fall

Well I've never plucked a rooster
And I'm not too good at ping ball
And I've never thrown my mashed potatoes
Up against the wall


And I've never kissed a chipmunk
And I've never gotten head lice
And I've never been to Boston in the fall."

-The Pirate Who Don't Do Anything, originally from Veggie Tales silly songs

I've been singing this song incessantly for the past couple weeks as my mantra, a sort of bucket list if you will, since this past weekend, Brian and I were able to go to Boston in the Fall... sort of since Autumn doesn't start until next week officially.  And yes, almost the entire time I was there, this song was running through my head in a sort of gleeful way.  It really is the little things in life.

Irony seems to follow me everywhere though so it should come as no surprise that I was so excited about being in Boston that I didn't realize where we were the moment we got off the subway in the middle of the city.  We walked right through the place where the Boston Massacre happened as we tried to figure out what we should see first.


The Boston Massacre happened right in the middle of the intersection behind me.

Where I grew up in Southern California, something is considered "old" if it is 50 years old and "ancient" if it is from a hundred years prior.  On the East Coast, not so much...  Paul Revere's house is currently 330 years old.  Of course, we had to take a picture of architect Brian in front of the old building:


Paul Revere's House
Brian and I were incredibly excited to get to eat at the oldest restaurant in the country, Ye Olde Union Oyster House, which was established in 1826.  We had the best clam chowder there which is probably the reason for its nearly two hundred years of continuous service.

Walking through another part of the city, we stumbled upon Louisa May Alcott's childhood home in Beacon Hill.  She was the author of the famous Little Women and subsequent books about her beloved characters.  She was one of my most favorite authors when I was little and definitely one of the ones responsible for my addiction to literature and hence my love of writing.

Me next to Louisa May Alcott's House
Boston has to be now one of my most favorite cities and this past weekend was a huge adventure.  Though, I think I need to go back sometime actually in the Fall to be able to say I did that.  I am grateful to the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything for the inspiration!  Hopefully, the song will encourage some new adventures, but if it comes down to it, I really don't feel like kissing a chipmunk and would prefer to never experience lice.  I'll stick with Boston in the Fall.

Brian is a great photographer, don't you think?!

1 comment: