Friday, September 10, 2010

Community

I was so excited Thursday morning; one of my good friends and I invited the other moms from our kids' kindergarten classes to a get together and people actually came!  Yes, I know it seems that I have low expectations if I am excited just because more than me and my friend came but moving on.  It was so fun getting to meet the moms of the kids Ethan is going to be spending the next 13 years with as they go through kindergarten, elementary, middle and high school.  All the other moms that came seemed really excited too to be get to know everyone else and thanked us for putting it together and the consensus is that we need to do it again.

People are hard wired to need to be in community which is one of the reasons I am really excited about reaching out to the other moms.  We need to be connected to others, to feel loved, to be held accountable, to be encouraged and to just have someone to just share life with.  It is why the church is designed as it is; people need this for their faith as it says in Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."  But, this is the very reason that believers need to be involved with the greater community too.  It is the whole "salt and light" concept that allows people to see Christ's love.

I'm so excited that the other moms from Ethan's kindergarten class seem to want to be involved in community too.  We can really only make a difference if we are truly involved in other people's lives in a graceful and loving way as a true friend.  And, as someone once said to me, someone's friend roster can never be too full!

No comments:

Post a Comment