Friday, July 16, 2010

So Glad it is Friday!

I'm so thankful that it is Friday!  And, if Facebook status is a correct indicator, most of my friends are too. 

It has been a long week especially since Brian had a deadline for his regular job and also one for the hospital our church is helping build in Haiti.  When he made it home from work, he still had work so I had work keeping the kids busy since we have discovered that kids and architecture drawings don't mix.  I think they believe they are huge coloring sheets and they particularly enjoy trying to draw in Brian's design notebook.  To make matters more interesting, I had a migraine on Wednesday so I feel like I have been trying to catch up with the week since then.  And this morning, we were woken up by two separate incidents of loud thumps coming from each of the kids' rooms.  They both independently chose this morning to wake up by falling out of bed.  Neither are really morning people, can you tell?

So, today we limp across the finish line of the week with a messy house and kids who are in bad moods from playing too many video games.  I'm about to go turn off the Xbox to take care of the latter and was trying to clean the kitchen to deal with the former.  In putting away clean dishes, I found a water bottle tucked in the back of our cabinets that our church gave out during the Olympics a while ago.  It has the verse on it from 1 Corinthians 9:25 about being disciplined like an athlete for an eternal prize.

In our current state of exhaustion, this is exactly what I needed.  I'm reminded of all the stories about finishing strong in the Bible, particularly Paul and his perseverance while imprisoned multiple times.  It really makes the simple busyness of our week not sound so bad and goodness knows that I always could use some perspective especially when I'm so tired and hurting from my fibromyalgia. 

It is so easy to let all of the mundane stuff of life:  deadlines, kids falling out of bed, and sickness distract me from the bigger picture.  Yes, all of those things need my attention, but they aren't the end all of life.  I have a much bigger purpose than just getting by. 

I'm glad that it is Friday and hopefully I'll get a chance to recharge for next week, and what's more, I'm hoping to instill a little extra discipline in our lives this weekend and coming week.  And maybe my Facebook friends will notice more status updates about me doing extra laundry or reaching out to and serving our neighbors more!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment