Saturday, July 10, 2010

Is it Fall Yet?

I came down sick with a cold yesterday which seems acutely unfair given that it is 100 degrees outside.  In fact, it has been this hot for weeks and even the supposedly heat loving and drought resistant Bermuda grass is looking rather pathetic. Summer came incredibly early this year after only what felt to be three weeks of spring and so that, combined with my cold, is making me yearn for fall already. 

I woke up early this morning with the air conditioner already kicked on (even though it is set at 80 degrees) and completely congested with an incredibly scratchy voice.  We'll just say that this was not one of my "pretty" moments.  When I was about to go get a cup of hot tea for my throat what when it really hit me that I wish it was fall because who wants to drink something hot when it is incredibly hot already?  Hence my feelings of injustice about being afflicted with a cold during a heat wave. 

I spent awhile reflecting on all the joys of fall this morning: pumpkin spice lattes, crunchy fall leaves, and crisp mornings and evenings.  Honestly, I think I was hoping that I could wish the hot weather away.  But, when I came downstairs, the three maple trees we planted in the backyard shortly after we moved into our house two and a half years ago are still bright green and showing no signs of acquiescing to my desire of a color change.  I suppose if I really wanted it, I could threaten them with a cessation in their watering schedule but I'm afraid all that would get me is a color change of the kind that I don't want. 

As my college logic professor used to say, "Just because you want it to be doesn't make it so.  This is one of the great logical fallacies!  Haven't you had your blueberries yet this morning?!"  (This dear professor touted the benefits of blueberries every morning and would always instruct us to eat them when the class was having a not the brightest crayon in the box day.)  So I must submit to the fact that we still have two and a half months of summer left, as Brian pointed out to me this morning.  If only I could just convince this cold to come back then because then I could have my pumpkin spice latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment