Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Better At Half Price

If clearance racks could count as an addiction, I would definitely qualify as having it!  I absolutely love saving money which is a good thing given that Seth and I have chosen to live only on one income so I can stay home with our boys.  I definitely enjoy all the time I spend with Matthew and Stephen and think it is well worth the sacrifice financially so I happily stretch our dollars as far as they will go; it has turned into quite an adventure!

One of my new favorite places to check for deals is Twongo, a website that sells vouchers for local businesses for a fraction of the price.  In fact, we were able to go out for dinner Tuesday for less than half price; so fun and I fully acknowledge that I am a bit of a nerd for getteing so excited but, in my defense, I didn't have to cook and I think that would make most tired people happy!  Twongo is a group buying website that works off the principle that buying in bulk can be cheaper and so the more people get together and buy as a group, the better deals there are to be had.  I signed up several months ago and have been enjoying the emails they send me about deals in my area.  I would totally recomend checking their website out by clicking here and hopefully you can get in on the fun!

Dinner was supplied via one of the vouchers we purchased over the past couple months.  Brian and I went out for sushi one night a few weeks ago and I was able to get a massage for half price.  The cleaning service one was incredibly tempting, but my personal rule is for it to be a good deal, it has to be either something I need or something I would purchase anyway.  Alas, I am capable of cleaning myself... (Maybe it sounds like justification, but the massage was for my fibro pain, really!) 

I don't know what it is about finding good deals that has me so hooked; I think it is partially because I feel like I am being responsible with the money I have and trying to live within my means.  Contentment is hard at times when it seems like whatever new temptation is calling my name, promising me that it will make my life easier.  Realistically though, living beyond my means is just trusting that material goods can deliver the peace they promise and that is just stuff that will decay; not the treasure that I want to place my heart in or the attitude that I want to modal to my kids.  It has been really freeing knowing that I don't have to have the newest and latest of anything.  Special brand names don't seem so important when clearance rack items are just as good at a fraction of the price.  I own them; they don't own me!

While Twongo is my favorite, Groupon and Living Social are other great sites too and worth checking into since not every group buying website is in every area.  Happy deal hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment