Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Reading Like a Kid Again

Tonight was a long awaited developmental milestone for the boys and us.  Truthfully, it was probably more important to Brian and me than it was to the boys!  I started reading them J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. We've already made our way through C.S. Lewis's The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe as well as Prince Caspian but to spread out the fun, we've moved on to another amazing author.  I absolutely loved to read when I was a child and the most horrendous punishment my parents could dole out was to take my books away from me so it comes as no surprise that one of the things I decided to do the moment I found out that Ethan was on the way was to read some of our favorite books to him.  Luke has become just as fond of story time too and so in honor of our milestone, I thought I would share some of our favorite story time books on my blog in hopes that someone might be able to enjoy them as much as we do.

1.  The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

2.  The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

3.  The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

4.  Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barret

5.  Titch by Pat Hutchinson

6.  Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Eric Carle

7.  There's a Wocket in My Pocket by Dr. Seuss

8.  Go Dog, Go by P.D. Eastman

9.  The Tale of Three Trees a traditional folktale, our version is retold by Angela Elwell Hunt

10.  Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton

These are just a few of our current favorites (and I do say "our" since I am still a bit of a literature junkie!) and though most of these are well known, they are well worth perusing again and are definitely favorites with Ethan and Luke.  I'm obviously having way too much fun having an excuse to spend time reading children's books again!

No comments:

Post a Comment