Friday, June 25, 2010

A New Perspective on Being Mommy

My husband sent me a link to desiringGod.org, John Piper's website, today because the topic has been something I have been struggling with: being a stay at home mom.  It is so hard because most days, I don't feel like I do anything worthwhile even though I know, in my head at least, it is incredibly valuable but it just doesn't always feel like it.  Watching our two little boys and my nephew today was exhausting and at times, frustrating and monotonous (although it was funny when I discovered some artwork done in crayon but not on paper...)  The weight of trying to train them up to be compassionate, caring individuals as well strong men of God is humbling and I must admit that sometimes I do envy other moms who get to go out and be adults with careers and not be covered in all sorts of kid goo.  When Brian was laid off this past fall, I was able to substitute teach some and it was amazing how productive I felt when I wasn't just getting snacks for little people all day!  But, when I came home, I was acutely aware of how much I missed my boys and how much I really do want to be there for them.  I think my problem with being a stay at home mom is really more one of perspective.

Perspective is what John Piper gave me today.  Click here to read the full article; it is so good!  To paraphrase what impacted me, he said while that it can be okay for a mom to work outside of the home, "mothering and homemaking are huge and glorious jobs.  I love that word, glorious!  It is so true that we, as mothers, are shaping our families and making a huge difference in people's lives.  I think what hit me the most in Piper's article what how he basically called it full time ministry in which I, as a stay at home mom, get to make a profound difference in the lives of my kids, husband, and neighbors.  I guess I find this really ironic because why I want a career is to make a difference in the lives of people; I already have the chance right now.  So, I'm committing to remembering that for each mess I clean up, load of laundry I do, each snack I serve, each neighbor I help, I am making a profound difference in the lives of people around me for Christ especially when my attitude is right.  There will still be those moments when I feel like pulling my hair out and when I don't feel like what I am doing is important but I'm going to start to consider it all ministry and take more daily joy in it.  Making a difference is glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment