Saturday, May 22, 2010

Authenticity

Last night, I went to the grocery store after I put my two little boys to bed and when I came home and was unloading groceries, I noticed my neighbor out for a walk so I said hi.  She asked how I was doing since she  hadn't me for a while, or more precisely, a week since I have been afflicted with one of the most vicious viruses known to man: the dreaded stomach bug.  I feel so blessed to have her as a neighbor since she immediately and sincerely offered to take care of me in anyway she could. 

I've been trying to come up with a way of explaining what this blog is about without much luck and much writer's block until my dear neighbor offered help.  Most of the time, we say we are fine when we are asked, even if we aren't, and pretend we don't need help even when we do because we've, wrongly, bought into the lie that we should be able to do it all ourselves or worse, we are scared people won't like us if we aren't all "nice". 

The funny thing is our need to be "nice" totally defeats our purpose and only costs us the deep and meaningful relationships that we need just because we can't bring ourselves to be authentic. 

My neighbor was so precious in her offer to help me out but she wouldn't have done so if I hadn't been honest about how miserable we had been (just imagine being sick and trying to take care of two equally sick little boys.  My poor husband managed to avoid it and is a saint for taking care of all of us!) 

The truth is, we aren't alone and so this is my experiment in authenticity:  I'm going to share my crazy, everyday life as a stay at home mom of a two year old and a four year old and what I think about and all the laughter, joys, and tears this entails!  I'm just an ordinary girl trying to live an extraordinary life and so here are my adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment